Nobody said being a mom is easy. However, nobody said it would be extremely difficult to find any kind of time for myself. My workouts have gone mostly by the wayside since I gave birth two years ago. At first it didn’t matter. Between nursing and constantly running on adrenaline, excess weight dropped right off me. However, once I stopped the breast milk and started walking with a toddler, all that weight I had so easily lost came right back on. Grrrrr…
Now that I’m beginning to get some sleep back, I’ve decided to get my body and health back too. I’ve been trying to focus on creating healthier meals that don’t take too long to make. I have become the queen of one-pot dinners. Spanakorizo has been a long-time favorite of mine, but it’s only recently that I’ve started to make it myself. Had I known it was so easy, I would have done it a long time ago. Enjoy!
- 1 pound shrimp, unshelled, with tails off*
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup feta
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Salt, as needed
- Rinse the shrimp and place them in a bowl. Add 1 minced garlic clove, salt, dill, and the juice of 1 lemon. Let sit.
- In a large pot, saute onions and 1 minced garlic clove in the olive oil until soft. Add the spinach and juice from 1 lemon. Cook until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rice, white wine and water. Stir occasionally until it is boiling. Cover the pot and turn the heat to low. Cook for about 20-25 minutes, until the rice is soft.
- Remove the pot from heat and add the shrimp to the rice. Mix together. Add any additional salt you need. Sprinkle feta and dill on top. Serve with lemon wedges.
*If you don’t like shrimp, you can substitute with chicken, like in the picture. Just cook your chicken or use already cooked chicken and add in like the shrimp.